Me and my group have been reading a text called 'After The Spill' It is related to the MV Rena oil spill.Me and Kini has created a long and short term affect about this text.
Long Term Effect:
- 350 tonnes of oil released into the sea.
- Oil on the bodies of 409 birds and collected and disposed of 2410 dead birds, of which 1448 had oil on them.
- Around 8000 volunteers helped to clean up the waste sand.
- People helped clean oil off the bodies of 409 birds and collected and disposed of 2410 dead birds, of which 1448 had oil on them.
- 2410 birds were found dead, which 1448 had oil on them.
- They found that shellfish and finfish had been poisoned with polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons.
- Short Term Effect:
-People cannot swim in beaches any more.
-The ship is still underwater and lots of oil are still under with it.
- Many people on the island still rely on kaimoana as an important source of food.
- Fishing boats have stop coming.
-However, a few areas, such as the northern end of Mōtītī Island, keep being re-exposed to oil each time a storm blows through.
- People would not know when it would be safe to eat kaimoana again.
- Tourist have stopped coming.